Fish and Chips Recipe
This well-loved dish really shines when you use top quality fish and potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornflour, baking powder and flour. Season lightly with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Now, whisking continuously, add the sparkling water to the flour mixture and continue mixing until you have a thick, smooth batter. Place the batter in the refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 centimetre slices, then slice these into 1 centimetre wide chips. Rinse the chips under cold running water.
- Place the washed chips into a pan of cold water, bring to a gentle boil to blanch. Drain carefully, refresh the chips in cold water and dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil to 120°C in a deep fat fryer. Blanch the chips a second time in the oil a few handfuls at a time for a couple of minutes. Do not brown them. Drain and keep to one side. Next, heat the oil to 180°C, ready for the fish.
- Place the dusting flour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Coat each fish fillet in the flour, shake off any excess and dip into the batter. Then carefully lower each fillet into the hot oil. Fry for approximately 8 minutes or until the batter is crisp and golden. Remove and drain, and then keep warm.
- Now heat the oil to 200°C and cook the chips until golden and crisp (approximately 5 minutes).
- Serve immediately with the hot fish and lemon wedges.